Saturday, September 15, 2007

Grand Old Pandering

Something's been on my mind for a while and I need to put it out there.

Maybe I've not been aware of them in the past, but does it seem like more and more, there are "diversity groups" proliferating even among organizations like the GOP? There's a hispanic group, there are black GOP groups, and local women's groups. I'm sure there are Muslim groups. Here's the "teams" page for the GOP.

Perhaps, I will admit, I don't understand these minority groups because, well, I'm not a minority (at least I think not; I better go check the census statistics). But doesn't their existence seem to say something about the party? What, I'm not sure, but could you imagine Ann Coulter at a Women's GOP event? Or sitting at the kid's table for Thanksgiving dinner?

And on that page linked above, there's the standard comment about increasing diversity. Here's the thing: I want a party that welcomes people based upon their principles, shared values, creative ideas in support of those shared values, and the ability to contribute. If you want to call creative thinking "diversity" then fine by me. But let's not bow to cultural marxism like the rest of the automatons.

Thanks to Katie's Dad for turning me on to that link above.

4 comments:

John Savage said...

Mike, good topic. I've put up a response here. Probably more questions than answers, but it seems like some broader questions should be addressed here.

John Savage said...

Mike, just wanted to let you know that I replied to your comment over at my blog. Thanks for your interest!

W. A. Jeffrey said...

I too am troubled by the "diversity" label. Part of the problem is that when people talk about diversity they are usually referring to racial, ethnic, or religious diversity. Diversity is just a fancy term for different. A group of people can be different in wide variety of ways not limited to race or gender. A group of white men can be just as diverse as a group representing every race or ethnicity on the planet.

There can be diversity of ideas, opinions, socioeconomic background, ancestry, education, palettes... the list could go on an on. I wonder if we would be better off as a society if we assessed people on an individual basis instead of organizing and analyzing by group. I am getting tired of Madison Avenue politics.

Anyway, good post. For more on this and other topics please visit my blog:

http://oldrightconservatism.blogspot.com/

Michael Tams said...

WAJ,

Thanks for your comments. Indeed, the diversity evident between someone like yourself and, say, Jean-Francois Kerry, is remarkable.

And of course, there's really not much diversity between Jesse Jackson, Ted Kennedy and Geraldo Rivera in the things that really count: principles and ideas (in this case a lack thereof).

Thanks for stopping by, I'll visit your blog soon.

-MT