Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Independence Day 2007

What a great and glorious day! This has become one of my favorite holidays, and the special meaning of it grows every year for me.

Here's my favorite part of the Declaration...

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. -That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, -That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Is there a more stirring political statement?

Tomorrow I will take the time to read the Declaration to my family, and hope that the kids get a little out of it. I'll remember to pray for Patriots past and present and give thanks for everything I have. I'll enjoy being surrounded by the people I love most in the world.

And I'll say a prayer of thanks for you, Dear Reader, and ask for His guidance and protection for us all while we carry on for the noble cause.

3 comments:

Terry Morris said...

"Is there a more stirring political statement?"

That's a 'political statement?' I always thought of it as a statement of a uniquely American worldview around which a legitimate political system would be formed.

As Quincy Adams said:

"...is it not that the Declaration of Independence first organized the social compact on the foundation of the redeemer's mission upon earth?..."

But they'll get something out of it, brother. If nothing else, they'll associate the formal reading of the DoI to the family with the day, and all the day's activities. It will serve them well, and the nation well later on. Guaranteed.

BTW, I didn't want to create another post to post above this one so I'll inform you here...

If you'll go over to Webster's (and you're wired for sound) you'll be treated to my favorite rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, thanks to our CTO. Also, if you'll use the button provided to get back to the AFB, you'll notice a couple of neat features we've added to it as well. Also thanks to our CTO.

Happy Independence Day, everyone!

-TM

Anonymous said...

Michael,

I just rescued your response to me from my spambot. I don' know why it snagged your comment, but I wanted to let you know that I didn't kill it. I have moved it and replied.

Michael Tams said...

Hey KD,

Thanks for the reply. That was an awfully good post of yours.

I have a spam filter at work that lets through stock offers and rejects client e-mails. Go figure.

-MT